It has been said that music “is what feelings sound like”. Music conveys meaning and affects us on many levels: intellectually, socially, emotionally, and spiritually. I’ve written a questionnaire below to help you understand your music, and ultimately you, better.
- Does the music you listen to engage you more emotionally or intellectually or both?
- What kind(s) of music connects you best with your social surroundings? Is it usually the same kind of music, or different depending on the social setting?
- Are you an active or passive music listener? (How focused are you on the music you are listening to?)
- How does your music affect your spirit? (What mood does it tend to put you in?)
- How has your music preferences changed over time, and what was the catalyst for those shifts in music change?
Answering these questions for oneself is a great start to understanding your music better and ultimately to understanding yourself better. Lastly, what is your personal takeaway from answering these questions?